Can I Go For NYSC After Completing School of Nursing?

After School of Nursing, Will I Go for NYSC?

If you’ve recently completed Nursing school and are wondering whether you can participate in the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) program, you’re not alone.

This post will shed light on whether School of Nursing graduates can go for NYSC and provide some essential insights to help you make an informed decision.

First, let’s clarify the different types of Nursing programs:

  1. University Nursing Program with BSN Award:
    This is a Degree in Nursing (BSN) obtained from a university of your choice. To be admitted to a Degree in Nursing, you must have taken JAMB UTME, chosen a university, written their post UTME, and been successfully admitted.
  2. Schools or College of Nursing Program with ND/HND Award:
    These colleges offer National Diploma (ND) and Higher National Diploma (HND) in Nursing. Unlike other polytechnics or colleges where ND and HND are separate, Nursing ND/HND programs are continuous. To be admitted here, you also need to go through JAMB.
  3. School or College of Nursing Program with RN Award:
    Also known as Basic Nursing, this program leads to the award of Registered Nursing (RN). It is offered as a course under a university teaching hospital. To be admitted, you only need to meet the right SSCE grades, and JAMB UTME is not required.
RECOMMENDED:  How to Include NYSC Work Experience in Your CV

Can I Go For NYSC After Completing School of Nursing?

Now, let’s address whether you can go for NYSC after studying Nursing:

  1. If you completed a Degree or ND/HND Nursing program, YES, you can go for NYSC.
  2. If you completed Registered Nursing (RN) program, NO, you are not eligible for NYSC.

The reasons why graduates from Schools or Colleges of Nursing (RN) are not allowed to serve in NYSC are as follows:

  1. The duration of the Nursing program in schools/colleges is typically three years, while Degree or ND/HND Nursing programs last for five years.
  2. Schools/Colleges of Nursing are not under the control of JAMB, which is one of the prerequisites for NYSC service. JAMB registration number is required to mobilize students for NYSC.
  3. Graduates from Schools/Colleges of Nursing are awarded only the Registered Nursing (RN) certificate, whereas university Nursing graduates receive RN, Registered Midwifery (RM), and BSN certificates.
RECOMMENDED:  Comparing Admission Process Between School of Nursing and University Nursing

If participating in NYSC is a priority after your School or College of Nursing program, here’s what you can do:

  1. Obtain the JAMB Direct Entry (DE) form, which is different from JAMB UTME. DE doesn’t involve writing exams like the UTME.
  2. Choose a university where you’d like to further your studies and apply as a Direct Entry applicant.
  3. If offered admission, you’ll be admitted into the 200 level (as a Direct Entry student) instead of the 100 level for UTME candidates.
  4. Spend four years at the university instead of five years for UTME candidates.
  5. After graduation, you can be mobilized for NYSC if you’re not older than 30 years at the time of mobilization or graduation.
RECOMMENDED:  NYSC Mobilization Timetable for 2023 Batch A, B & C

Although most Schools or Colleges of Nursing offer a three-year RN program, a few colleges provide Nursing as both ND and HND programs, allowing graduates to serve in NYSC.

However, such colleges are limited, and if you’re fortunate to be admitted and graduate with HND in Nursing, you’ll be eligible for NYSC.


In conclusion, whether you choose to pursue Nursing through the School of Nursing or the university route, it’s essential to consider your goals and opportunities for NYSC.

If you have any thoughts or questions, feel free to share them in the comments below.

Check Also

How to Apply for NYSC Revalidation and NYSC Remobilization

How to Apply for NYSC Revalidation and NYSC Remobilization

If you find yourself at a crossroads with your National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) journey, …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *